Tails: The Backbone Preludes is a post-noir narrative adventure with branching choices. It is an intertwined series of vignettes about change, circumstance, and consequence. Guide four different characters through formative moments in their lives, all set to the backdrop of a gorgeously pixelized dystopian vision of Vancouver inhabited by anthropomorphic animals.
As a narrative and thematic prequel to Backbone, Tails: The Backbone Preludes introduces a plethora of new gameplay elements, interactions, and puzzles, as well as choices that affect each story from start to finish.
Play as Howard, Renee, Clarissa, and newcomer Eli, as you uncover the events leading up to the original game in this short-form and highly replayable anthology. Return to the world of dystopian Vancouver to learn more about your favorite characters, or start at the beginning - you can play Backbone and Tails in any order.
- Changing Lives In A Changing World - What makes us who we are? How does our past dictate our future? In these stories leading up to the events of the original Backbone, players will experience key moments in the lives of the main cast, set them on the path of self-realization or even destruction, and experience the growing pains of a world on the cusp of irreversible change, first-hand.
- Four stories, United By A Common Future - Tails: The Backbone Preludes tells the stories of four protagonists, each thrust into circumstances beyond their control. Howard and Larry are two college friends. Clarissa is the heir to a crime family characterized by ruthlessness. Renee is a part time journalist and housewife struggling to regain her sense of personal agency. Eli is a scientist who makes a discovery that could change the world. The choices you make for them will alter their destinies forever.
- Built to Be Replayable - A brand new branching tree interface allows you to track your choices, not only as you play each story, but every time you return for another run. Character traits, branching dialogues and randomized events allow for new paths to open up on every subsequent playthrough, with a wide variety of variations and endings for each scene.
- Gorgeous Visuals - Tails: The Backbone Preludes features breathtaking high-resolution pixel art environments mixed with 3D effects. From snow-covered streets to dunes of volumetric pixel art sand, these innovative visuals represent a world with rich history, inspired by Vancouver, art deco and post-soviet architecture. Inhabit a wide variety of environments, ranging from college dorm rooms to the seedy underbelly of The City, and revisit iconic Backbone locations such as Gastown.
- Another Banger Of A Soundtrack - Doom jazz makes a triumphant return in a brand new original soundtrack by Danshin, perfectly accompanying the themes and characters of each story under a single melodic umbrella. The soundtrack of melancholic and trippy noir tunes will keep you sorted for a rainy day long after you finish the game.