The last side-scrolling Mario game was New Super Mario Bros. U, released in 2012. After over a decade, the beloved gameplay returns. Let’s take a closer look at Super Mario Bros. Wonder, the newest addition to one of the most renowned video game series.
We believe that the brave, mustached plumber is a character that needs no introduction, as he’s been around for over 40 years. He debuted in Donkey Kong but was initially known only as the Jumpman. Mario became Mario in 1983’s Mario Bros. Since then, he has starred in over 200 titles, representing virtually every genre, from platformers to RPGs to fighting games. Among the most influential Mario releases are such groundbreaking hits as Super Mario Bros. (1985) and Mario 64 (1996), which is widely considered one of the crucial factors that let Nintendo win the console war against Sega.
Despite the passage of time, Mario hasn’t lost any of his popularity. New releases, such as Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope (2022), Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (2018), and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (2017), sell in millions, winning the hearts of a new generation of gamers. Moreover, after 30 years, the Nintendo mascot returned to movie theaters. The Super Mario Bros. Movie, released in 2023, is currently the second-highest-grossing movie of the year. At the Nintendo Direct event in June 2023, the publisher revealed their next Mario game, Super Mario Bros. Wonder, which goes back to the series’ roots.
The new Mario platformer game will come out on October 20, 2023. Mario is Nintendo’s symbol and one of the most recognizable video game characters. Therefore, it’s no surprise that Super Mario Bros. Wonder will be available exclusively for the Nintendo Switch console.
Super Mario Bros. Wonder brings back the classic platformer gameplay based on the Super Mario games from the 1980s. Consequently, you will try to complete colorful levels by reaching their ends while overcoming obstacles and defeating enemies. This time, it comes with a twist as it’s set in the Flower Kingdom, where the Wonder Flowers grow. Collecting them turns the gameplay upside-down by causing surprising Wonder Effects, including reviving pipes or turning your character into a spiked ball.
Like in previous Super Mario games, players can find numerous power-ups that grant them weird yet powerful abilities. Super Mario Bros. Wonder introduces new power-ups.
- Elephant Fruit. It transforms a character into a mighty elephant that can destroy the environment and enemies.
- Drill Mushroom. It allows characters to drill through the floor and ceiling, thus offering a new way of exploring levels.
- Bubble Flower. It lets characters create bubbles that catch enemies. Moreover, you can jump on those bubbles to reach new places.
Throughout the game, you will find badges that give your character new skills. For instance, the Parachute Cap lets you float in the air, while the Floating High Jump upgrades your jumping ability. There are three kinds of badges.
- Action Badges. Equipping your character with them provides additional abilities.
- Boost Badges. They provide your character with new passive skills.
- Expert Budges. This kind of badge grants advanced skills.
You can have a fun time playing Super Mario Bros. Wonder alone or share the experience with your family or friends. Local multiplayer lets you team up with up to three other players using a single Nintendo Switch console. Alternatively, you can go online. The co-op room supports up to 12 players; however, no more than four characters can play on a single course.
You can experience the new Super Mario adventure as one of eight playable characters:
- Mario. The protagonist of the series and arguably the world’s most famous plumber.
- Luigi. Mario’s younger brother and his trusty sidekick.
- Peach. The princess of the Mushroom Kingdom and Mario’s love interest.
- Daisy. The ruler of Sarasaland.
- Toad and Toadette. Friendly creatures that live in the Mushroom Kingdom.
- Yoshi. A member of a race of dinosaur-like creatures allied with Mario and Luigi.
- Nabbit. A rabbit-like character that debuted in New Super Mario Bros. U.
Yoshi and Nabbit are the perfect fit for younger and more impatient players because they don’t take any damage. As a result, those characters don’t lose their lives. On the other hand, they don’t transform with power-ups, so the game is more predictable. It makes Super Mario Bros. Wonder a great choice if you want to introduce your kids to the world of video games.